jina-cee logo Joint Institute for Nuclear Astrophysics    
   Contact Us | Home | Search | Site Map
Virtual Journal | Tools & Data | Highlights | Jobs | Events | Sign Up  
 For Scientists
 For Visitors
 - Visitors Information
 - Visitor Form
 - Visitors List
 JINA Underground


For Visitors -- Important Information

Airfare: If you are being reimbursed for airfare, travelers on federal-funded trips must book the lowest priced coach/economy class airfare available. Be sure to keep all airline tickets/receipts (including your boarding passes). If you have an e-ticket, we will need a copy of two (2) of the following documentation as support for the reimbursement request:

  1. Copy of on-line/e-mail print out of itinerary reflecting airline, flight numbers, departure/arrival dates and times;

  2. Receipt listing total flight cost, payment method (e.g., Visa ************1234), and evidence of full payment, such as a copy of credit card or bank statement showing airfare charges;

  3. Passenger receipt (this is obtained during check-in or at the KIOSK machines. See the samples.)

PLEASE NOTE: boarding passes are not considered supporting documentation.

Flying internationally: Travelers flying outside the continental United States must travel on US affiliate carriers at coach rates when at all possible (this is the "Fly America Act"). Note that it is not sufficient that the aircraft is a US carrier's aircraft, or that the flight number is a US carrier's flight number, but the ticket must be issued by a US carrier. In times of code sharing, this is non-trivial. Along with the Fly America Act, there have been some Open Skies Agreements between the US and some countries where federal funded transportation is allowed. This includes the EU, and in some cases Australia, Switzerland, and Japan. Of course any rules specified by the grant comes first.

Due to these restrictions, we require that flights are either booked through JINA-CEE/MSU staff (see below) or that JINA-CEE/MSU staff has approved a particular flight before you book it. When we book your flight, it can also be direct billed, which simplifies the process considerably. Please do not book your own flight without contacting JINA-CEE/MSU staff first.

VISA Travel for Foreign Visitors: If you do not have a US passport or permanent resident card, you will need to enter the US as a visitor on a waiver for business or business visa (either WB or B1*). When you arrive in the US, the business purposes should be research collaborations (i.e., a B1* designation on the I-94 card - be sure the port of entry stamps your passport appropriately) or under the visa waiver program and you are requesting a waiver for business purposes (i.e., a WB designation on the I-94 card - be sure the port of entry stamps your passport appropriately) and take the letter of invitation from your host institution with you when you apply.

For travelers coming from countries who participant in the VISA waiver program, please note new requirements for this visa went into effect September 8, 2010 for Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) registration. You must apply for the ESTA prior to travel at the following link: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/. Either status (B1 or WB) will enable us to reimburse travel, meals, and lodging expenses; however, we must have a copy of your passport page and stamped visa page to reimburse expenses.

When you arrive at your US destination, the first thing you should do is see the appropriate JINA-CEE administrator at your host institution. The JINA-CEE administrator will need a copy of your passport page and visa page (WB or B1) to reimburse expenses. You may also have to fill out various forms related to your stay with JINA-CEE. Please note that without copies of these documents and all of the appropriate forms completed before you leave the US, JINA-CEE may not be able to reimburse your expenses. So, it is very important that this be done as soon as possible during your stay.

*Note: Countries that do not participant in the Visa Waiver Program will need to apply to their Embassy or Consulate for the B1 visa. It is important that you state you are planning a temporary business related travel to the United States for independent research with no salary or income from a US based source, or benefit to US institution. More information on B1 visa: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/business.html.

Important: Be sure to check with the US embassy in your country and with the US Department of State for the latest regulations and rules for entering the US as these are constantly changing. See http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html for more information.

Contact for more information and questions:

Dawn Welch, JINA-CEE Administrator
Michigan State University
1 Cyclotron Laboratory
National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory
East Lansing, MI 48824-1321 USA

How to get here
Campus Map

Janet Weikel, ISNAP/JINA Administrator
Institute for Nuclear Astrophysics (ISNAP)
Joint Institute for Nuclear Astrophysics (JINA)
Nuclear Science Laboratory
180 Nieuwland Science Hall
Department of Physics
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556 USA

How to get here
Campus Map


Francis Timmes
Arizona State University
Department of Physics
Bateman Physical Sciences F-Wing, PSF 470
Tempe, AZ 85287-1504 USA

How to get here
Campus Map

Sanjay Reddy
University of Washington
Department of Physics
3910 15th Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98195-1560 USA

How to get here
Campus Map

| Disclaimer